Sunday, September 16, 2007

Just My Luck

And I thought my first couple of weeks back on the job was boring.

Yesterday, we took our annual jaunt back across state lines to participate in the 8th grade football jamboree in Mad-Town. Although our players assured me and the other coach that they were "damn ready" to play some ball, I think most of them were worried about how cold it was.

Sure, it was a bit nippy out that morning. They were more worried about keeping their hands covered by their sweatshirts than they were about playing football.

I could immediately see that they didn't want to play, quick to point out and comment on how big our opposition was. That fear carried over into the game in which we couldn't net ONE SINGLE YARD. Our 1st Team offensive line gave way like an dike during Hurricane Katrina and our quarterback was running for his life. On defense, we gave up a touchdown on the very first play and ever since then ... everybody hung their heads.

We played two teams and we simply got bent over. I'd never been so disgusted and/or embarrassed in my life. We gave them a pretty good ass chewing afterwards, giving them the business.

We've got 23 players now and I'll bet only 3 or 4 play with real "heart," meaning that they really want to rip someone's head off. The others just play because they think it's the acceptable thing to do.

We all knew that this class of boys aren't that athletic and don't know their left from their right, but it's downright ridiculous.

At least I'm getting paid ... and I hear that there were fights going down back at a softball tournament! Damn, just my luck ... wish I was there instead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home