Monday, March 21, 2005

Vegetable!

In light of the Terri Schiavo case of the brain-dead woman whose husband wants to pull the feeding tube, Katie and I had an "enlightened" discussion about whether or not we should keep each other alive if we happen to be brain-dead.

Boy, wrong discussion!

The discussion ended with Katie all pissed off. I told her if she was brain-dead, I'd pull the plug. There would be absolutely no "real" way to save her, so instead of prolonging her suffering, I'd let her pass away.

I got yelled at.

Then, I had an idea. I told her we'd cut her head off, but it in a deep-freeze in nitrous oxide (see "Ted Williams") and wait for a procedure to be found to save her from the brain-dead-ness.

Still, that didn't go so well due to the fact that Katie still had the idea that I wanted to kill her.

I explained that if I were in that position, I wanted to be let go. For one, I would not live to my full potential. I just do not want to be somebody to take up space and have no real meaning in life. It sounds selfish, because obviously people do care for me -- but that leads to my second reason: it's a financial burden for the family to take care of my brain-dead-self. Nah, I don't want to put them through that.

Katie refused to talk about it, but I told her: once we get married, we're going to have to sign some legal document addressing those issues.

Reality bites!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home