Friday, March 11, 2005

Driving in South Dakota

I get a kick out of this.

Being raised in Minnesota and learning how to drive in that state, a person becomes observant of watching other drivers as they pass you on the highway. One of the most common things a driver sees is a gesture -- not obscene -- but a simple lift of a finger from the steering wheel to say "hello" to the passing driver. This is most common among farmers and other rural folk in Minnesota.

On the other hand, driving through South Dakota is something different. As I would pass cars on the highway, I would do the "finger-hello" to other South Dakotan drivers as they would pass by. Absolutely no response in return. Soon, it become a mission of mine to keep doing that to passing drivers to see if I could get a response.

On our trips to Sioux Falls or Brookings to get some shopping done, I would constantly do this. At the same time, I would drive Katie crazy. If there were two, three, or even four cars in a row, I would flip my finger two, three, and even four times in a row. Most of the time, no response.

Lately, it has become a lost art of mine to display my "finger-hello" in South Dakota. In Minnesota, it still is in full-use as I cross the border.

The reason as I bring this post up is that lately on my trips to Chester, every morning I notice this woman who passes me does the full "hand-wave." Maybe this woman knows me somehow -- but then one day she did her "multi-wave" to a series of cars. Okay, she doesn't know me -- she's just overly friendly!

So next time, when you pass somebody on the highway, give 'em the ol' Minnesota "finger-wave" and see what they'll do!

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony:

I believe that you are not in finger waving territory were you live. Because in good old DR the finger wave is quite common as well as in other parts of the state. As far as Minnesota having more percentage of finger waves. I say wa Jedi shnocke shnocke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home