Thursday, January 26, 2006

"Aw, Fuck..."

I've been more effort into this week that I probably have all of the first semester. I'm just tired as hell right now ... heck, I even stayed late after school a couple of nights this week just to attempt to get things done and be better prepared for the next day's lessons.

This time around, the students are seeing a new guy standing in front of the classroom. The middle school students are easier to control -- my classroom managment policies have changed since the first of the year, adjusting to the students' nuances and behaviors. As for the high school, that's another story.

I usually let them have more independence. Sometimes it just gets to the point where I say, "If they don't want to do the work and put in the effort, their grade is going to reflect it." It's a poor attitude on my part, since being the professional, I have to care in a way to see my students succeed. Sometimes I catch myself going back to a "college mentality," observing my old college professors and catching on how they teach -- they lecture, get their point across (all the while not caring what their students do, especially on a computer), and leave. Let the exams sort 'em out.

That's basically how I approach my classes now. As long as I get my point across, either through discussion or an in-class assignment, I'm satisfied. If they don't hand it in -- that's not my problem, even though I constantly remind them. As a teacher, I can only go so far.

Then, we all get the e-mail from the superintendent.

This had been rumored for some time, but as it turns out, our school district is looking to be just over a million bucks in the hole when the next school year rolls around. Significant cuts are going to be made -- where exactly, we don't know.

As far as job security goes, I might be safe. First and foremost, they are going to keep all of the teachers. For the cuts, we're looking at cuts in the administration and cutting back on other resources that the school relies on, namely energy.

It puts a slight worry in the back of my mind. I actually replaced a teacher that retired -- it wasn't an added position -- so with that, I seem safe. But it sure would suck donkey balls if I got the notice this upcoming spring that said that they were going to cut one position from the business department and I had to look elsewhere ... but tell me this: who else is going to teach computers?

So for right now, I'm not completely worried. Just go on with my routine, live and learn. Hopefully now I won't burn myself out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home