Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cooling Off

I've finally found some peace after a rough start to the summer. The cure? Yard work.

My God, I am getting old.

Since Kate's been out of the house more often due to her new job, I've been the guy to step up and keep the house in tip-top shape. Projects that I have put off during the school year, well, they've been completed.

In addition to "riding the bike," my stress level is going down. I truly thought a few days ago that I was going out of my mind. I was anxious, depressed, bored. What was a fella to do?

My brother Dan stopped through last weekend. I hadn't seen him in a while, so it was good to see the guy. He was also having his problems -- he's also a teacher -- and was even considering a career move. He was approached to return to Minnesota with a huge pay raise. It seems like the thing he wants to do, but he's already pressed for so much for the music program that he is currently heading up in South Dakota. It was in his best interest to stay in South Dakota where he's already put in his full committment to that program, rather than "burn the bridges" and upsetting a South Dakotan community with a lot of potential.

After hearing Dan's trials and tribulations of the goings-on in his life, I re-assumed my role as the listener and the advice giver, taking notice of my own selfish complaints about how my life was not going so well. I quickly got over my senseless funk and returned back to normal once again.

Then, the unexpected happened. My brother-in-law Matt was on the "shit-end-of-the-stick," as I liked to call it -- him and his girlfriend of a year and a half had decided to split up. Well, it was her idea to "take a break." Guys -- have we heard that one before?

Matt was so out of it, he came over yesterday and we just sat there and talked. I tried my best to provide the advice that could try to make things all better, but to provide advice to a person who poured his heart and his soul into that relationship ... well, all you could do was to listen to him. This was the first time this has happened to him, so I told him of my past experiences, some of my friend's experiences, my brother's experiences, and how we've tried to deal with it.

Can AGAIN somebody say White Lion's "Broken Heart"? I forgot to mention that to him.

But after talking to Dan and Matt -- I've decided to head back home for the weekend and have a little old-school fun. Even though the 10-year class reunion is this weekend (I will not be making an appearance -- didn't pay my fee), I should make up for it. I just need some good ol' summer visceral fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home