Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Retrospective

Yet again, another boring in-service. Although the current activities no longer apply to me or to my profession as a teacher, I am here only to fulfill the last couple of days of my contract for the school year.

The past couple of hours have been spent cleaning out my desk. Besides being flooded with the memories of the past three years in Room 1150, I have also a concern about my future: several applications have been sent out for future careers -- no phone calls or attempted contacts on their part to help fill those positions.

I'm not overwhelmingly concerned, but it would be nice to know where I'm going to head to next. I've already told my landlord that I will be staying at my current residence until June 30. If push does come to shove, if no career opportunity presents itself prior to that date, then I will be forced to move back to the HomeTown for the time being. Hopefully this accommodation will be as short as possible!

The last week of school, May 19th through the 23rd, was the last time I will ever have students in my classroom. On the 21st, that was the last day for all the seniors. Although I never got "too emotional," it was a extremely sad feeling that I will never see some of my students again. This year's senior class was one particular group of students that I really "got along with." It was this group, or the majority of, that had begun to take my classes as sophomores, my first year of teaching. When the seniors were not allowed to take a second study hall period (even when they had enough credits to graduate), they elected to take my classes again.

I attended several graduation receptions for the seniors, probably around 30 of them. There were a few of Friday, a few on Saturday, and a boat-load on Sunday. Most of them were "in-and-out" visits, since I had to keep moving on. A quick congratulations from me (plus "Words of Wisdom" to a few special seniors) and I was out! There wasn't even a second for me to stick around to grab a quick bite to eat -- and there were several receptions that had kegs of beer!

Overall, it was a love-hate career. Obviously, I love to interact with my students and I gained their trust with my easy-going attitude -- which I will probably miss the most. I loved coaching 8th grade football and 7th grade baseball during my three years, although I didn't have the most talented teams (0-15-2 record for baseball this season).

I hated the politics, the back-stabbing, the ever-constant two-faced attitude from our own administration. Promises that were once made were shattered behind the facade of personal feelings and the excuses that the school has a lack of money (although we did pass an operating levy last fall). I hated the constant classroom drama -- students fighting over stupid ideas and causes, which just arouses in myself some opinions and judgements.

This has been my home for three years. If I had it my way, I'd still be here. But it's time to move on for hopefully better things.

Thus ends this chapter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home