Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Not Much

Just to fill in the last couple of days...

I was surprised to hear from my folks on Thursday. My brother Dan was heading back to the HomeTown to visit, since he hadn't been there since we were all together at Christmas. But in light of recent events, my parents had asked me if I could come home also. It is a rare treat to see Dan again, but with the recent bus accident claiming 4 lives, I had the feeling that as a family, we all should spend time together.

Being busy Friday night (and not in the best of moods all together), I left for the HomeTown on Saturday morning. I had already started thinking that I would be driving through the intersection of where the bus accident happened, curious to see if anything had changed. As I approached the intersection, it was like it always was, normal to the average passer-by on the highway. But once my truck went through the crossing, green-and-white spray paint outlined the accident scene, accompanied by dried engine fluids. My stomach churned as I drove past, just thinking that although I did not personally know those students who were killed, I felt a sorrow just knowing that they only attended school 7 miles from my HomeTown.

Saturday was just a day for relaxation as my body was physically and mentally drained. My Dad and Dan were already there, getting ready to fire off some guns since the weather was almost beautiful on February afternoon. But with the awful Friday and the drive up from P-Town, I was simply too tired to comply.

The Farm has always been a sanctuary of sorts for me, the place that has been kept in the family for nearly a century. I feel a sense of pride now always returning to the place where my grandfather and father have been raised, knowing that someday it will get passed on to my brother and I. I just think it's the peacefulness, the quaintness, the rural setting that separates me from my "other" life in P-Town. No worries or troubles could ever reach me there.

Later that evening, we took out our grandfather to eat that night and spend the rest of the night watching movies and sipping on the occasional cold beverage. Life is bliss!

Monday was a big day, in terms of my professional career. That day was the monthly Board of Education meeting in which they would discuss my resignation from teaching in the district. I had pondered whether or not to attend the meeting, but with doing some research into if other teachers who have resigned in the past had actually attended the meetings, they had not. I made the decision to not attend the meeting, avoiding more attention brought upon myself if I had attended.

As of today, I still do not know the result of the meeting. I can safely assume that they have accepted my resignation, but hopefully tomorrow I will get some sort of correspondence stating that it has all been finalized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home