Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Getting Packed, Ready to Go

Yesterday I got my scanner, so I was playing around with that for a few hours last night and today, just pumping me up even further to head out to Michigan to see the races. After I finally figured the thing out, I probably inputted more than 200 frequencies into the scanner, covering most of the field for Busch race on Saturday and the Nextel Cup race on Sunday.

This little thing is pretty cool -- I can pick up aircraft transmissions with it and also the fire and police departments. So far, just by searching the channels, nothing really is going on. I do pick up a few things once in a while, but it's nothing exciting. Otherwise, I pick up the Weather Alert channel and listen in on that.

Katie is being a pretty good help in getting things together for me. She's helping me pack, all the while complaining that I'm going to be gone for a few days. I just have to keep reassurring her that I'll be home safe and sound on Monday and I'll call her as often as I can, even though it's doubtful that my cell phone will pick up any signal whatsoever.

I'm off work tonight at 11:30 p.m. no matter what -- I'm not staying late to help out with anything extra (last night was a complete disaster), heading home and catching a few hours of quick sleep. I have to wake up around 4:00 - 4:30 a.m. and head out from here around 5:00 a.m. for the 2 1/2 hour drive to Spencer, Iowa where I'm hooking up with my uncle and two cousins. Then, we're finally on our way!

We'll be driving 12-14 hours straight to Ann Arbor, Michigan to a fancy hotel (we got a double-room suite) and on Friday we're heading to Michigan International Speedway for the Budweiser Pole Qualifying. Hopefully I can find Ryan Newman and ask him to take a few pictures with us -- cuz he's the MAN -- then afterwards, I'm going to SHIT IN MY PANTS.

Saturday is the Busch Grand National race, a sort-of minor league NASCAR series, which provides just as much action as the Nextel Cup race that will run on Sunday. After is all said and done, we're going to be on our way back home, probably shacking up somewhere in Wisconsin Sunday night and continuing our way home on Monday.

Full details to come, pictures included -- granted that I have the time to scan them all and post them on my college server.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home