Monday, October 18, 2004

The Art of the Lay-Off

This sucks butt.

Starting on October 30, I will no longer have a job.

Reasons? Well, two wonderful companies that outsource to us to do their dirty work decided to make a few changes for 2005. Changes in design -- so we have to make changes to our machines. Orders are down to 11,000 parts a week, compared to nearly 30,000 just a few weeks ago.

We were told about it right away at 3:00 this afternoon. Our HR director would talk to us individually and let us know about the situation. It wasn't until 5:00 when she tracked me down (what a cutie) and we talked about it. It's not a really big deal, I've been through lay-offs before. I understand business and capitalization, so it's a way of life. I'll just be done with manufacturing once I graduate from college next May.

My reaction? Again, it sucks butt because I lose my income for the rest of the year. They probably will call me back in January -- which is fine -- but I just hate going into that "mode" where I have to be the "penny-pincher" and I really cannot buy the things I "want."

And with this wedding next year, purchasing LP for our furnace ... man, it's going to be a tight winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home