Monday, October 18, 2004

Weekend Wrap-Up -- Ice, Ice, Baby

Friday night ... heh, heh.

I get done with work and while we still did not have any hot water, I went over to Katie's parents house to shower and get ready to head down to The Cocktail for karaoke. Katie was already down there -- she called and she sounded a little drunk. I told her I would be down in a while, since I was talking to Katie's dad about basketball and stuff.

I finally got down there around 10:30 p.m., and immediately I get called up there to sing a song.

"Cripes, I just got here!" Tony yelled.

"Just get up here!" Katie shot back, along with her friends.

I get up there and I don't know what song they're about to sing, then I see it on the teleprompter -- Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice, Baby."

Talk about Junior High. I've got to admit, Vanilla Ice was the first tape that I had ever owned, since "Ice, Ice, Baby" was such a popular song back then. I memorized it then ... and for God's sakes, it's stuck in my long-term memory. So, when the song busted out, "Yo, VIP ... let's kick it!", I was gone.

I was shaking. The crowd in The Cocktail that night was going absolutely crazy. There were a bunch of the older crowd there who probably never even heard of the song ... and they were cheering on. I just kept going ... laying down the song to a 'T', getting into it.

After the song, hell -- I had so many offers for drinks, it wasn't even funny. The man who was leading the karaoke said that I would be a tough act to follow. That's one hell of a compliment.

After that, I managed to stay low, busted out a Neil Diamond tune along with the Soggy Bottom Boys. I didn't get too drunk, just had a few beers, then I was on my way to take care of Katie ... who was absolutely bombed.

On Saturday, I slept in late and eventually watched Michigan play Illinois. Michigan won. Later that night, I watched the NASCAR race. I'll talk about that later.

On Sunday, Katie was gone to some bridal show in Brookings with her mom and my mom, so I took the time to clean the house and did my English test (9 pages long), all the while just passing the time checking the scores on the games, checking my fantasy players, and waiting for the Vikings to start that Sunday night. More on that later!

During halftime, I drove into town -- and realized that my "Service Engine Soon" light was blinking at me. "Shit."

I submitted my test over the Internet, and then stopped at a buddy's house in Mad-Town to visit, so we tuned back and forth from the Vikings game to the Yankees-BoSox game. Boston won, baby!

As for next weekend, I'll be heading home on the 23rd to visit and get my family's list ready for the wedding, just so we know how many people are going to pile into Mad-Town for the wedding. All of this planning sucks, but it's gotta get done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home