Wednesday, November 10, 2004

"Mean Girls"

After the whole cat fiasco, Katie and I decided to rent a few movies at the new location in Mad-Town.

First, we picked up "Shrek 2," then she decided to get "Mean Girls." I'm pretty much warped now.

"Shrek 2" was not as good as the first, in my opinion. Still, I love those computer animated flicks, even though they're geared towards a younger population -- but you'd still be surprised by a few suggestive themes.

"Mean Girls", on the other hand, was just scary to watch. It was just odd how Katie and I both related to that certain clique in high school. First off, I just wanted to kill that "queen bee" type -- thinking that whatever she does is right and everybody should just look up to her. Ish.

The movie is dead-on in its timeline. The junior year of high school is crucial -- cliques reach their max as friends are continually back-stabbing one another. A few of the ladies in our junior class; I simply could not stand or bear to be in their presence. Although situations did not become all dramatized as they did in the movie, the atmosphere was right for a massive meltdown, especially around Prom.

Then the senior year rolled around. The clique evaporated and everybody was friends with everybody. Soon, it was observed that the senior girls where very hypocritical of the younger classes, especially towards the freshman for being "all pretty and the urge to show off your belly-button" and all that crap. "Mean Girls" captures this at the end of the movie, at which everyboby gets along.

It was just a weird movie to watch because it was just so accurate how high school is portrayed. I'm glad those years are over and behind me and already I am bracing myself as my career as a high school educator begins to unfold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home