Thursday, September 15, 2005

MMORPG

It's pretty nice that since I now have a broadband connection, a kick-ass video card and a lots of RAM, I can finally try out a few things that I have wanted to in the past.

Last weekend I picked up Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience and Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection.

First off, I'm lucky that I picked these games up WAY past their actual release dates, since servers and bugs are at least "up to snuff" and they are actually playable for an enjoyable experience. Second, just diving into Star Wars and pimpin' out on Tatooine -- it's freakin' huge. It's so huge, that you basically have to save your money just to fly to certain points. You could just run, or take your landspeeder -- but that would take a good hour of your time. Right now I'm hanging out at Mos Eisley, doing simple jobs, saving money, learning skills. Then, I got cocky and flew out to Fort Tusken, where I basically got my ass handed to me by some stealthy Sand People. Rat bastards!

And that's not it. Since I got expansion packs, I can fly in outer space (go to other planets as well, like Naboo and Corellia) and battle with the Wookies on their home planet of Kashyyyk. I've obviously got lots to do.

But the whole idea of a MMORPG (massive multi-player on-line role-playing game) is to hook up with other gamers and form groups for a mutual advantage on the game. Right now, I really haven't "talked" to any other users -- I'm still getting used to my controls and the surroundings.

I installed Final Fantasy XI last night. This is probably the most difficult game yet, control-wise. I'm still getting used to what I have to do, although I really haven't gone anywhere. I'm just spending my time talking to actual computer characters for "normal" FF information about the world I'm in.

What sucks is that I have to pay for this, like a subscription. It can be a monthly fee, about $12. Is it worth it? As long as I have the time for it, and right now, that's pretty little. But overall, a hell of an experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home