Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More Worries, Part II -- Nothing Yet

I still haven't heard anything new regarding the big budget cuts that the school district is going through.

Right now, my state of mind is pretty stable, meaning that I'm not really all worried about it. I've settled down through talks with other teachers and they've all said that they cannot imagine getting rid of the only guy in school that knows something about computers.

But what gets me is that I'm on the bottom end of the totem pole. Seniority rules in times of budget cuts.

I've read the school board minutes from the month of January and nothing has really come to light. There is a budget committee consisting of a few members of the school board and they decided to do away with over $900,000 in cuts -- which means "What of the other half a million?" I don't know. The superintendent will have free reign in where the cuts will happen. Although I consider my relationship with the superintendent a pretty good one, I cannot rely on that -- it's all business.

My options are still the same: keeping my ear to the ground while I'm sort-of testing the waters and seeing what other school districts are offering. Jobs offers usually get crazy around the end of March and through April, so it's pretty slow right now.

On the upside, it seems like I will be coaching 9th grade baseball. Although I haven't signed a contract yet, I've already been fitted for hats and shirts -- a pretty good indicator that it's going to fall through.

I'm just going to keep crackin', doing my thing, and wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home