Friday, April 07, 2006

"Thank God..."

It was all coming to a head -- the stress was culminating.

Thursday was crucial here at the school district. The "Budget Committee" met all day on Thursday, meeting with the superintendent and the principals. Our fate would be decided in that room -- which just happened to be located right next to my own room.

Tempers were short, tensions were high. The day passed with no news from the meeting.

Then, today. My 5th graders and I were having a little bit of fun with a digital camera (and site myheritage.com site that Troy sent my way a while back). The superintendent walked in.

Immediately, I could feel my face becoming hot. Then, it had occurred to me -- it is Friday, usually the day of bad news. After I shooed away the 5th graders from my desk, the superintendent pulled up a chair to my desk.

Oh, shit.

"I just wanted to come by and tell you that you are in no danger of losing your job. It was never even a thought."

My eye brows raised. The superintendent continued.

"I talked to (the high school prinicpal) and she told me that you told her that you were worried about the whole situation..."

I then explained my situation again, not really knowing what to do with Katie still in school.

"Oh, no -- like I said, we never even thought about cutting your position. We'll be switching a few things around, but other than that, you're ok."

A sigh of relief. Thank God.

He gave me a slight tap on the back of the head as I bowed. The only other concern was to renew my teaching license by June 30th, which I'm already in the process of.

After he left, I just sat there shaking a bit. I really didn't fell the weight lift off my shoulders or anything -- just a slight feeling of disgust of worrying about nothing. How would have I known what was going to happen? My emotions were justified.

Just like the Cuban Missile Crisis. World War III on the brink, but in the end, things are alright.

I called Katie on my way home, the best news that I could possibly give her. The possibility of me losing my job also weighed heavily on her, but I could tell that she was relieved from the news.

The past couple of months was absolute hell. I just wasn't myself -- my students could probably tell you that. But now, it's a new era in TonyTimes. The motivation is back.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home