Monday, March 12, 2007

In-Service

Eh. I don't particularily like these days at school, especially when the teachers are required just like any ol' work day, while the students are running recklessly around town in this some-what beautiful weather we're having.

In-Service days, in my mind, have always been seen a personal waste of time. Either we talk about things that are completely irrevelant to my subject matter or it's something where we have to interact with another (as teachers) and it just seems we're back at Bible camp or something. I was hoping that we were going to have "work-in-your-rooms" time, so I could get a little caught up on some grading, but unfortunately, there were many things planned throughout the whole day.

Early this morning, we had a keynote speaker (click on this link to go to his web site) and he completely rocked the house. He's a local guy from South Dakota and he spoke of this story of an eldery gentleman who worked at a Wal-Mart. A few of our own teachers knew the man himself, an eccentric cashier who always greeted people and gave back their change and receipts on the SAME SIDE of the person who was paying for the items. He would shake their hands, say "thank you" (a big part of the presentation) and give their young toddlers a hug and some candy. An unreal presentation.

I just may have to buy the book.

After that ... things went downhill, as your typical in-service days go. I also got to learn about digital cameras ... which I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home