Friday, December 29, 2006

A Week of Boredom

It's utterly ridiculous. As much as I complain about my job as teacher, I'm almost starting to miss it to get back to work just so that I've got something to do.

The Christmas holiday itself was fair, or it was just as typical as it seems. Extended family, food, BEER ... same old, same old. The highlight was when my brother Dan brought his new girlfriend to the family Christmas gathering and she tried lutefisk for the first time. I had warned her that it was basically "fish Jell-o," but she was willing to give it a shot. After the first bite, it didn't go!

Then, my aunt out of nowhere asks me, "So, have you seen Kate lately?" Seriously, I would have loved to go one holiday weekend without one of my family members to bring her up. As the reply was, no, I hadn't seen her, but my thoughts return to what was, a place where I really couldn't care less about.

I even had a student ask me a few weeks ago about how it was going to be without my wife there during a holiday. The question itself was inapproipate and too personal to ask, but to come to think about, I hadn't thought about it all that much. I wasn't sure how to take it, since the past 5 years I had attended a holiday with Kate at my side.

But looking back on last weekend, it was normal. I really didn't think much about it. Before my aunt brought up the fact, Katie was the last thing on my mind. I've taken being a bachelor once again in stride, and so far, I've found out that it's got more benefits than pitfalls.

I talked to my ex-brother-in-law tonight through Windows Live! Messenger and he told me that it wasn't the same without me around at his grandmother's house for Christmas. How was I to respond? It was an awkward situation, since I was really close with Kate's brothers and her cousins. It know it's been tough on them, but I don't want to seem like an asshole -- I've actually moved on.

With that said, my week from work has been an extremely boring one. I returned back home on Christmas Day, and in the meanwhile, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing. I've been watching my James Bond DVD's (a Christmas gift), uploading my new iPod (yet another gift), and just playing some PS2. I'm anxoiusly awaiting for the big fight tomorrow night -- UFC 67, Liddell vs. Ortiz. It'll be good to see the old friends back in a social situation -- and who knows what will go down on Sunday night for the New Year's party. Last year, I was sick and drank too much (ended up ralphin' for a couple of hours -- worst ever) and this year, I'll probably take a different approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home