Saturday, August 28, 2004

SPECIAL EDITION -- Hanley Falls Weekend

I've been back for a little while from Mike and Lacey's housewarming party in Hanley, deciding to give a little update!

First off, it was LOTS of fun, just seeing the old friends again. Mike got a 16-gallon keg of Miller Lite and the tap kept flowing all day and into the early hours of the night. It was gone by the time I wanted another cup of beer at around 10:00 p.m., Katie said it was gone by 9:00 p.m., so I just left the ol' cup on the pump, an homage to "Dazed and Confused."

We played your typical lawn games, bean bags and bocce ball. Shane and I teamed up to chuck the red balls around, but we seemed to come up short in the two games that I participated in. In my opinion, bean bags is the game to go -- Mike's lawn was just too lumpy and bumpy to try to navigate our throws towards the little white ball.

Then supper came, the all-out feast. I came prepared, picking up some American Cut pork chops at Hy-Vee in Marshall, including some shrimp, potatoes, and baby carrots. All of that went on the grill, and even got some compliments from Judy (Mike's mother) and others on the heads-up for bringing the shrimp and other food items.

"Wuz up ..." Tony replied.

But the night was a rough one for Katie -- she has been sick for the past couple of days due to a head cold and I could tell she wasn't having the best of times due to the illness. I tried to pick up her spirits, but she just called me "annoying," but hey, I gave it my try.

With the night winding down and everybody playing "President, Asshole" in Mike and Lacey's garage, Katie and I decided to pack it up at around 10:30 p.m. Katie was awful tired and I was a little worn out from the games and the constant keg drinking.

With that last party of the summer, there's a feeling of sadness that I will not be seeing some of the boys again for a while ... Mike, Robb, and Sean -- I'll be going to school and my visits back to Minnesota will be limited. Maybe one weekend there will be yet another "spur of the moment" when Katie and I will be heading home for another party with old friends again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home