Tuesday, September 28, 2004

New DVD's

Yesterday from Amazon.com, I got my copies of the "Star Wars Trilogy" and George Lucas' "THX 1138 - The George Lucas Director's Cut."

Whoever restored these films in digital glory is a genius. The Classic Trilogy looks and sounds unbelievable -- and believe me, with the Star Wars Main Theme playing on my Sony Home Theater, boo-yah! The films are of the Special Editions, which were released in 1997. Some changes were made to them, like the Han and Jabba scene in "The New Hope," Jabba has been worked over and made to look more realistic. A LOT better than the Jabba from 1997.

Also, in "Return of the Jedi," more celebration scenes were added to the end of the movie, including scenes at Naboo. One other curious observation, during the Coruscant (Imperial City) celebration, one can see the Jedi Temple in the background (after the toppling of the Emperor Palpatine statue). Thinking that the Jedi Temple was all but destroyed during the time of the "Revenge of the Site" (the title for Episode III), I guess not! Also, the apparition of Anakin Skywalker at the very end of the movie with Luke looking on, there's a huge change. Instead of the Anakin that was inside of Darth Vader (from the original and the previous Special Edition), we see Hayden Christensen, the actor who portrays Anakin Skywalker in Episodes II and III. It's an addition that is a welcome sight, although there is some sadness because it changes the original. But I have to agree with George Lucas, the person we know who Anakin Skywalker is dies and becomes Darth Vader when he turns over to the Dark Side of the Force. Anakin is still very much a young man! What we see by watching "Jedi," is the redemption of young Anakin, not the old, to join Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi with the full knowledge of the Force.

Sorry, but I'm a Star Wars freak and I've subjected many a persons about my discussions on Star Wars -- like kicking everybody's ass at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.

But I also started to watch "THX 1138." I've only managed to catch the first 30 minutes of it, but it's stunning. The story -- is really messed up, a person really has to pay close attention. Maybe it'll be a little bit easier to listen to George Lucas' commentary during the movie, but I won't do that until I've watched it completely the first time through. But whoa ... this movie reminds me a little of Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange," just a strange storyline but with genius direction. Check it out, if you dare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home