Monday, November 15, 2004

The LONG Weekend Wrap-Up

It was a pretty easy going past few days for me, since I has no classes on Thursday and Friday, due to Veteran's Day and Assessment Testing.

So on Friday, I headed home for the big state football tournament -- first round -- which was being played in Minnesota at the Old School. They haven't been to the state tournament since 1990 (that's a guess), so I figured that this team would be worthwhile to watch.

I met up with Robb quickly that Friday night, as he was projecting a fairly big crowd to watch the game. As it turned out, it wasn't as big as expected -- as temperatures dropped big time and we really started to freeze out there. I was predicting an Eden Valley-Watkins win, due to their impressive performance through their Section playoffs, but Robb kept the faith, saying that the Old School would pull one off.

The EVW team had some pretty big boys on that team, a couple reaching in size of 6'7" and weighing over 250 lbs., so the Old School boys had their hands full. The first half was pretty exciting, although they fell behind early (with a blocked extra point) 6 to 0 -- but the backbreaker was with 13 seconds prior to halftime, when EVW scored to make it 13 to 0.

Things started to fall apart in the second half. The Old School could not stop the pass and their running game started to pick up. Although EVW turned the ball over 5 times in the whole game, the Old School could not capitalize on the turnovers. In the end, the Old School ended their great run for the 2004 season by losing 28 to 0. Robb and I left early with about 6 minutes left, since our feet were basically frozen.

On Saturday, I even surprised myself. I got some homework done -- I had a test due on Sunday -- so I spent the morning doing that until my grandfather showed up and hired me on for some work at his place. After I got back, my dad got me into some pheasant hunting around the area, in which I had to buy my license on the Internet. No problem -- cost me $31, though.

We did see a couple of roosters; one of our party did shoot one down. We saw mostly hens all afternoon, then we decided to call it a day when the sun finally started to set.

Katie showed up that night, and my family got something to eat -- then drove to town to visit Mike and Lacey -- just get a little drunk. Katie and Lacey were talking wedding plans, then Schruppy showed up, then we had a little fun. We were watching CMT's sexiest 20 country males singers thing (we were all pretty upset who got #1 -- Keith Urban), then we were watching the 20 sexiest country videos. They had this annoying chick -- Melissa Rivers (daughter of Joan) giving her "two cents" over how the video looked. She got so damn literal on certain things, like Faith Hill's sheets in her video "Breathe." Mike then, came up with the quote for the weekend at which I am still laughing over.

"Shut the fuck up ... APE!!"

After Schrupp left, Mike and I watched "This Is Spinal Tap", which I have not seen in a long time -- but damn, it's probably one of the most funniest flicks I have ever seen.

Saturday was over when Katie and Lacey were done with their wedding stuff -- then Sunday rolled around. I finished up my homework and prepared for a day of football, NASCAR, and getting my fantasy team together. But dad had other plans -- "let's go pheasant hunting again!" so I obliged.

Again, we did manage to shoot a few roosters (but lost two of them, even with dogs) but saw a boatload of hens. I left early to head back to watch football and NASCAR, then later took off to South Dakota that late afternoon.

And that is all Tony wrote for the weekend!

1 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony:

The reason why your team lost is because they have that name the "sting" it almost sounds like "W". I believe they should go back to being called the "kilowatts"

from
nacho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home