Monday, December 13, 2004

An Exciting Weekend

I'm sure paying for it now.

This past weekend I decided to go all out, no matter what. I was pretty confident going into my final exams so that I didn't have to study much.

It all started on Friday night, karaoke at The Cock. I saw a few old friends there who attended college with me. After a while, I was getting a little basted, preparing for another long night of consuming alcohol and singing some tunes. The first song came a little early, as Katie and her mother put in my name to sing "Ice Ice, Baby" by Vanilla Ice.

I really didn't want to sing much, but I got up and did my thing. The DJ, Patrick, says that out of all the people who sing it, I'm the best (damn right!). Then, I'm thinking -- "How many people sing this song? Two or three?"

"You'd be surprised ... it's popular in Sioux Falls," Patrick replied.

Katie and I have been so impressed with Patrick that we signed him up to DJ our wedding next June. This guy's no ho-hum sort of dude -- he gets involved and on top of that, he's a great singer also.

On Saturday, it was all about high school basketball. Chester and Dell Rapids St. Mary's were playing in Mad-Town at the Fieldhouse. It was a must-go-to game, as Katie's younger brothers Matt and Mike are now playing for Chester. It was a huge match-up: Class A Champions versus Class B Champions the year before. Chester now had lost 3 straight to St. Mary's, but now it was a different story.

Matt and Mike didn't start out of respect, since they're transfers. Once they got in the game, it was on. Matt was money from downtown, hitting 5 for 7 three-pointers. The capacity crowd of 2,000 were on their feet, as Chester won 58-56.

There's just something about high school basketball (especially boys) that is just so darn fun to watch. Before the high school game, the Blue Teamers played -- and that was super-boring. I don't know if it's the simplistic way that high school teams play -- and based on prior experience with my old high school -- it's just great.

After the game, I drove up to a rural bar that is only probably 5 miles from where I live. Levi, an ex-old school-Blue Teamer and a good friend of mine, was celebrating his last day as a bartender up there. Let's just say that I shouldn't have driven home. I didn't get to bed until 4 that morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home