Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Rain Delay

My baseball coaching debut was put on hold as a nice, steady shower started around 2:30 this afternoon, making the conditions to play baseball NOT a very pleasant one. There was the reports of thunderstorms and lightning, so it was best to postpone the first game of the season.

I'm a little upset, since I would really like how my team fares against other opponents. There are some things that we really need to work on, like bunts and just overall fielding in general. I love the players eagerness to learn new things, but sometimes I just get the feeling that they are so bored of doing the same things over and over again, but that's what practice is all about.

Yesterday, we did not have school, but I wanted to practice. It seemed like everything came to a climax between some of my players, something that I would have never thought to see between the guys. During our "Live Pitching" sequence, I was standing behind the pitcher's mound, calling balls and strikes. All of a sudden, my right fielder comes running in and literally starts beating the tar out of my first baseman. At first, I'm thinking that they're messing around, but seeing the tears from the right fielder, I knew it was serious.

Apparently, the first baseman and the runner on first was giving the right fielder some crap about his playing ability. Sure -- my right fielder isn't one of the more coordinated players on the field (his real sport is wrestling), but there was no excuse for the crap he was taking, and partially, I do not blame him much for it.

I didn't hear what was said, but I got the explaination. Part of me wanted to call practice off early (due to my anger), but we had to go on. After the apologizes and the shaking of the hands, we went back to business. It was the first time that I had ever seen a situation like that, and hopefully I handled it the best I could.

But I'll give my right fielder this: he's got heart. He's got guts. He knows he isn't the best player out there, but he'll die trying to do the best he can do. Even though he took matters into his own hands and he landed some shots across the face of the first baseman, I actually have a respect for the guy. It shows that he can stand up for himself, but with his fists ... well, I would have handled it a different way.

Today, even though we didn't have a game, things were better. We watched a video on base running and the guys were back to their joking selves. But now, the players are chomping at the bit to get out there and show what they can do -- even pressing me for signs from the third base coaching box. It's something that I've thought of, but I probably will not get too technical!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home