Saturday, May 12, 2007

To Lincoln John...

Dear Lincoln,

Hey there, little guy.

Ever since that day your parents told me that they were expecting you, I never felt so happy in my life. It was news that made me forget some of the bad things that were currently happening in my life. Just to see your parents so happy ... smiling ... a great anticipation filled the room that night.

I was envious. That's all what we hope for in life ... two people form an unbreakable bond of love and you were the result! I couldn't even put it all into words, but all I could say was "Wow." I already had visions of what you could be capable of: somebody who could run like the wind and jump 20 feet into a sand pit; or somebody who has the biggest, caring heart in the world who could always take some time to listen to anything.

But, it wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately, things went beyond your control and they couldn't be helped. That didn't stop me from caring, giving what or any kind of support to your parents. It just wasn't from me either ... it was from family members, close friends, and just random people from the community.

Ever since the 1st of May, you were what I always thought about. Simply put, nothing else mattered. I was concerned about everything ... what your parents were going through, the rest of the family ... what could I do? I felt so helpless.

Yesterday was a difficult day for all of us. But something happened to me that day ... I felt at peace. While listening to the pastor's sermon, I actually relaxed a bit and could breathe a little easier knowing that you were in a safe place with God. Again, I had visions of what you could be doing: bouncing around, smiling, and waving ... and that brought me comfort.

I can only hope that as the days go by, your parents can feel the same comfort and peace.

I asked earlier ... what could I do? I will tell you about two people through my own eyes.

I've known your father Mike for nearly 15 years. We met back in high school -- 9th grade -- and for the next few years, we pulled some stunts that now days, we can only shake our heads at. Whether it was sports in general, the Raft Trips, the Owl Garden, or taking our famous road trips, we all bonded together. But there is something special about your father: he has a deep, kind-hearted soul. It was very rare to see him get all worked up over something (reminds me of a fight we once had and immediately afterwards, he wanted to patch things up).

Your father and I had something in common: the ability to show our appreciation in the written word. We were creative at best, whether it was writing simple stories (your father is a great poet ... if you didn't already know) or expressing ourselves on videotape. During those times, he instilled an inspiration in me to create some of my own works, including the new film I'm currently working on (if you could have only seen what your father could do on the court!).

With all that, I have to thank him. It's great to share some of the same creative-ness and that is what has worked to keep our friendship intact all these years.

And your mother, Lacey. I haven't known her as long as your father, but with that aside, it seems like I've known her for years. Your father and I have gone through similar situations in our life, but when your mother entered your father's ... it was almost indescribable.

She awoke in him the passion for life, love, and pure happiness. As I got to know your mother a little better, it was obvious that they were meant for each other. She could light up a room like none other, and with that contagious laugh of hers ... it was tough not to laugh along with her.

But together, they are an unstoppable force of support. Last summer, I was going through some really difficult times. Besides my family, I could always depend on your parents for comfort, advice, and more support. I always felt comfort in talking about things, getting them in the open, especially when it was with your Mom and Dad. At the end of the day, they did whatever they could to help me feel better about my situation -- like stay awake until the early hours of the morning!

Now, Lincoln ... if they could do that for me, just imagine what they could have done for you! You would've had the best in the world, as far as care ... advice ... love! And it doesn't matter that we will not be able to see you take your first steps, write your name on a sheet of paper, or run the 100-meter dash in 10 seconds flat, everybody -- including your parents, family, friends, myself -- still love you and think about you every single day.

I just wanted you to know who and what your Mom and Dad are all about. Quite frankly, they are the best people in the world.

Please keep an eye on all of us ... keep us all safe ... and I look forward to seeing you one day...

With much Love,

Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home