Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An Old English Journal: Entry #3

Sept. 11, 1995

Journal Entry #3

Friday night was the happiest day of my life. The (my high school) was playing the L------ Cardinals. It was the 4th quarter and we were losing 28-8. Coach Ba---- yells at me to go in a split end. Before that, Coach Br---- had called a time out and he was talking to some of us. I've been returning kicks and punts all night and this was my first play on offense. Br---- called a Fake 24 Sam Fly, but he changed his mind to a Sam Snake. That means that the quarterback would fake the ball to the fullback and I would run a "snake" pattern up the field. Rory B------ was still at QB and he started the cadence. He finally said "hut!" and I took off down the field. At about 7 yards, I broke hard right like I was goin to catch the ball, with my hands in the air and Rory pumped faked to me. I turned again, this time straight down the sideline. I burned my guy big time. I had a good 5-step lead on him and Rory let it fly. I concentrated on it and I was running full-board. I couldn't believe I caught the ball. I kicked it down and ran straight for the end zone. I felt a guy hit my ankles, but I kept going. Right when I got to the goal line, I was hit at the ankles again and stumbled into the end zone. I got up jumped with joy, yelling.

I was surprised I wasn't penalized for celebrating in the end zone. Thank God there was no flag on the play, either. Brandon R------ was the first one I saw come running up to me and he picked me up. I finally made it back to the sidelines and everyone was yelling in my face. I hugged or shook hands with about every player there and then I fell down because I was so happy. The play was 75 yards. I thank Ba---- for putting me in and Rory for throwing it so far. It was the most happiest moment in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home