Friday, August 13, 2004

Threshing Show -- Hanley Falls, MN

Every year on the second weekend of August, the small town of Hanley Falls holds its annual Threshing Show, located on the old school grounds in the center of town.

I've been going to this since I was a little tyke -- my first memories were back in 1983, riding in tractors as they marched around in their "Parade of Power." Then we got a little older (past the "free admission for people under 12"), snuck in by climbing the fences, and checking out what the flea markets had in order. Every year, I would save up to buy a tractor or something, otherwise we'd buy novelty items, like stink bombs or fake Oakley shirts.

But the part I love the most is the museum itself, the old Hanley Falls High School building. It's so full of history about the surrounding area. I used to go in there during my summers in Minnesota and look at the old pictures of Hanley Falls and the surrounding farms, looking at the changest to certain buildings or other things.

Lately, I really haven't gone into the Threshing grounds, since my attention has turned to Centennial Park, neatly nestled in between the Threshing grounds and State Highway 23. For years I've played in the annual Threshing Show softball tournament. This year, hopefully I'll find a team to play on, but if I don't, it's no big deal. I'll just sit back and relax, get drunk, and just spend a couple of days in Minnesota.

Katie will not be heading back with me this weekend, because she's got her hands full dealing with a wedding that she volunteered to help with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home