Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Scrimmage

It was a beautiful day to watch some high school football.

I myself didn't have to do much, since it was completely for the high school -- no middle school. I just stood around, picked up on a few things, helped out whenever possible -- and did a "little" yelling.

The varsity looked sharp, on the ground and even in the air. Besides P-Town, there were only two other schools there, area schools in which are always there at the scrimmage.

Our featured running back was having a field day. It just seemed like everytime I watched the varsity or looked down the field while I was watching the JV team, he was in the end zone and just simply out-ran everybody else on the field.

I still have my doubts about going far into the season with the depleted offensive line, but hopefully they can prove me wrong. The defense is quick off the ball and they pursued well.

My main gripe was the freshmen, who I had as 8th graders last season. They still complain "what a waste of time...I didn't even hit anybody", they still lounge around -- some kid was so bored that we was literally pulling the grass out of the field: "my feet hurt...", and for some reason, they still cannot tackle. They still live by the "shoulder tackle," something that looks good on TV when the pros play, but in high school, it's all about the fundamentals.

But man, it was great to be back on the field. It's like a transformation for me -- all other things and thoughts seem to slip away and I just get into that zone regarding the formations, the plays, the players, etc. It's just surreal.

First varsity game is this next Friday night here in town, while our 8th graders don't play until the 7th. Lookin' forward to it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home