Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Sick ... Ish ...

I think it all started Friday night. After work, I headed down to The Cocktail in Madison to do a little karoke singing. Of course, I really wasn't in the mood to be there in the first place, but after a couple of Morgan Cokes, damn -- I was ready to take on the world.

A buddy of mine, Tate, comes up to me and says,

"Hey, are we going to sing our 'Man of Constant Sorrow' tonight?" Tate asked.

"Hell, yeah! I saw you walking across campus today and I was going to holla at you about it, but I thought better of it. Write it up!" Tony replied.

Tate laughed.

Yep, so we got up there and started our tradition, singing "Man of Constant Sorrow" from the Soggy Bottom Boys -- or just watch the "O' Brother, Where Art Thou" movie.

Right from the beginning, I knew something wasn't right. Usually Tate and I mop up on this song and everybody in the joint is going ape-shit. We just didn't have it that night. We simply struggle staying on tune, but we did it. We got the usual applause.

Then Katie's cousin, Lisa, shows up. She wants to get loaded, so she's hitting them back one at a time. She gets the grand idea that she wants to sing a little ditty, so she asks me if she wants to sing.

"Hey, wanna sing a song with me?" Lisa asks.

"Uh, I don't know ... what song do you want to sing?" Tony asks.

Lisa flips through the book. "How about 'Picture?'" Lisa asks.

"I don't know that song," Tony replies. Katie give him a stern look.

"You do to know that song! You sing it all the time on the radio. It's that Kid Rock-Sheryl Crow song." Katie said.

A light blinks in Tony's head. "Oh, that song! Sure, write us up."

It's a nice little duo with a guy and a girl. It took about an hour for us to finally get up there, and by that time, I was 5 sheets to the wind.

I did my best up there, since it has been a long time since I heard that song, and my harshest critic was myself. I consider myself a pretty good singer (based on my past experiences), but for some reason, I wasn't happy with myself. Better bring in "Spinal Tap" for next time (Hello, Cleveland!)

It wasn't until the later stages on Sunday and into Monday that I figured out what the hell was going on. I'm sick -- the same shit that had been going around for the past month. Katie had it, people at work had it -- I thought I was invincible since I had been taking my vitamins and I was fighting off the attack. But nope, on Monday its been full-blown, and I'm still feeling like crap now. Hopefully this'll pass in a couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home