Friday, October 07, 2005

Finally

It was our last away game of the season of 8th grade football yesterday. Already, just by judging the players reactions and hearing what happened last year by this particular team, we were going to get killed.

Yesterday, it was colder than hell -- wind blowing something fierce, but luckily for me, I came prepared this time, equipped with a stocking hat and gloves.

We started on offense first -- and wouldn't you know it -- we scored on our 3rd play from scrimmage. It was unreal, the first time our team actually scored on a long play from scrimmage. Soon after that, I started to mix it up, noticing weaknesses in their defense. I relied a little more heavily on the run, as I picked up on that the defensive ends really were slow ("icebergs", I called them) and we ran pitch left, pitch right all day long.

Our guys ran hard, and FAST, considering how cold it was. On defense, I'd be on the sidelines telling them to move around, especially their legs, to avoid tightness and freeze up. We'd get back out there on offense and just running them over.

After we scored our 3rd touchdown (on Panther Right 25 Orlando Dive -- fullback up the gut), I couldn't help getting a little excited. It's been few and far between that we've scored touchdowns, especially where we actually break one wide open. Walking back to the 40-yard line, I almost got emotional. I was so damn happy, so relieved, that something had actually gone our way for once. We all got back into the huddle with the big "MO" on our side -- with tears in my eyes, giddy from the moment, saying "I'm damn proud of you guys..."

For once, we were playing as a team, finally gelling together as one cohesive unit. It was the best feeling that we've ever had, something finally to play for. I, for one, am glad to actually finally win a game -- I'd hate it to be a first-year coach without a win to my credit.

Next week is going to interesting, where we actually start playing 100-yard games, complete with special teams. Up to this point, we only did 40-yard scrimmages. On Monday, the team splits up into two -- where we have a Pep Fest in front of the middle school, complete with team player introductions -- like something you see out of a movie. It'll be pretty cool, giving these guys something that they've worked so hard for: a little recognition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home