Monday, October 24, 2005

Speed Demon, Apparently

I'm driving back to the old home town on Saturday morning, minding my own business, while I am surprisingly notice that I'm getting pulled over by an unmarked HiPo.

There's something obviously wrong about this, I think to myself. I look at my speedometer, I'm moving at around 63-64 mph. Speed limit is 60 mph now, so I'm thinking, you know, what the big deal is.

As it turns out, the HiPo clocked me at going 65 -- but still, what the fuck?! Did I realize that I was speeding, he asks. As I explain to the copper, my cruise control is out the window (no lie) and sometimes I have to check myself. The HiPo let me off on a warning -- but damn, that just pissed me off.

Speed limits just a while ago were set at 55 mph. The police were pretty lenient, letting drivers hit up to about 63 mph before they started to pull anybody over. Now that the speed limit is 60, drivers will continue to push the limits, driving at speeds near 67 to 68. I wasn't even going that and I got nailed. I was getting passed all the way back to my old home town, especially by those South Dakotan nuts (okay, I'm a bit of a hypocrite) who still think that the speed limit is 65.

After every car that went by, I just said to myself, "Ow, my pride."

Man, what a nice feeling of paranoia. I cannot even bring myself to "keep up" with traffic anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home