Monday, December 12, 2005

The Town of 1000 Hills

Last Friday night, I drove from my abode in Minnesota to a small, up-and-coming town in South Dakota called Dell Rapids. I was there to watch my brother-in-law, who is a junior in high school, start his basketball season against the local Catholic school.

Also, the reason why Dell Rapids is on the map is due to John (Nee-Nee) and some other friends that I knew from college. I figured since I was there, hell -- might as well stop in for a gander.

Even Troy (Mongolian-Weiner-Man) headed up from Sioux Falls, as he's moving there from Mitchell.

The game itself got to a late start, but in the end, my brother-in-law's team killed 'em.

But I have a beef with the town of Dell Rapids itself. During my days in Mad-Town, or in any other small South Dakotan town for that matter, the city crews would literally DUMP sand on the roads, making it seem like you were dune-buggin' through the streets. All except for DR, which was nothing but snow, ice, and HILLS.

Simply unbelievable! Even with 4-wheel drive, the ol' Chevy had a tough navigating the streets of Dells, slippin' and slidin' all over the place. It was an adventure going DOWN a hill towards an intersection, praying to God that a car wouldn't cross your path. There were a few times that I practically slid through the intersection, but lucky for me, there were no vehicles coming from the other directions.

In John's defense, Minnesota is home to the Salt Mines. Even if I think South Dakota is home to the Sand Dunes, I sure didn't see any in DR!

Ah, the local war between SD and MN still rages on!

Nee-Nee! (hand-motions)

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I dunno the dodge didn't have any trouble navigating the streets. Maybe it was operator error? :). j/k

Don't forget the other debate about beef commercials is still unsettled. Someday perhaps.

Turkish

 

Post a Comment

<< Home