Thursday, August 31, 2006

"Work In Your Rooms..." Day

For some reason, there was just so little to do for our in-service this year. Last year, it seemed like we had something going on every single minute of the day.

With the exception of yesterday, this in-service was a breeze, and at the same time, a bore. We are required to be at school for these in-services, but I have to laugh at these "work-in-your-rooms" days because it seems like they've run out of ideas to lecture us teachers on.

It just seems during these do-nothing days, you can kick back and watch a little SportsCenter or whatever. Nobody cares, just as long as you're in your room and you "look" like you're doing something. Today, I was actually trying to get something done, since I'm planning the work-based learning program this year and I had to coordinate a meeting for the parents and students participating that was held tonight.

Once I found something to do, it was amazing how the time flew by. Soon, I was counting the minutes and was soon pressed for time to get things typed up, printed off, copies made, so on and so forth. Before I knew it, it was 3:15 p.m. and I had to do some coaching.

Everybody was like that today, at least I wasn't the only one. I'm still not satisfied about things around the school and I still need a lot of things to be done, but everybody's like that. I'm upset that I don't have a software program installed on my computers, I'm upset with the state's educational standards, I'm upset at the school's financial situation, I'm upset with my personal life.

After a great rebound from a horrible summer with a great month of August, I'm sorry to see it go. But at the same time I'm welcoming the month of September with optimism and confidence -- a second-year teacher with a re-newed and wiser look on life. I just cannot take nothing for granted any longer.

"How's the football team doing, Tony?" you might ask. Solid, I reply.

Like I've said before, this 8th grade bunch is a very physical group of boys. I had most of them last year in 7th grade baseball and my expectations are high. Today, we just started some full-contact offense versus defense and already, I've got some kids who come to hit. Sure, you've got a few here and there that are complete "marshmellows," but they too, are getting better.

Our running game is already unsurpassed and these guys are outright smart. It took almost until the 2nd to the last game of the season last year for guys to know the plays and already, this team knows all the plays for one formation (10 in all). I've "dumbed" it down, made it simpler, and maybe that was our problem last year.

I'm looking forward to our game next Thursday as we open at home.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home