Monday, August 27, 2007

Viper, Maverick, and the Iceman

After a long summer of great times, who would've thought that would I pull off a "last hurrah" of sorts last weekend. One would think that I would be all kinds of tired and wore out from the parties and the softball that the month of August has to offer, but last weekend was one more wedding in the books, as a good buddy of mine, Shane, got married.

When there's a wedding, there's obviously got to be a wedding dance! It would be the second one of the season, following a pretty good one when Jarrod and Jess got married back in July. Things started well, especially with the weather, as the air was dry and temps hovered in the low-70's, so there wasn't much to complain about. Inside the church, however, it was quite a bit warmer. Watching Shane, Schrupp, Mike, and Sean all teetering up there trying to stay on their feets with those heavy tuxes, I couldn't blame them.

The wedding itself didn't last too long, but afterwards it seemed to take forever just to get to the reception. Lacey, Tammy, and myself were all pretty vocal about our frustration over the lateness of the serving of the food (because we were all simply so hungry), but the time came and all was better.

After the dinner, the fun was "attempting" to start, as the beer began to flow. The tables were finally cleared and the music started, although the DJ didn't have a clue what the hell she was doing. First off, the music was too soft, then once she turned it up, the equalizer was all kinds of messed up, as she cranked up the bass and the treble was low -- the result was muffled singing. She finally perfected it well into the evening, especially after she had a few drinks in her.

But all night, we were simply pissed off at the DJ. We wrote up karoke tickets and put them in early, but then it wasn't until 3 hours later until we got up there. We came up with some sweet stage names, "The Man-Whores" floated around a bit, but we pulled off a pretty sweet homage to "Top Gun" with call signs from the movie:
  • Myself: Viper
  • Mike: Maverick
  • Sean: Iceman

Nobody wanted to be Goose. I wonder why?

Mike and Sean thought the DJ was ignoring us on purpose because earlier that night I yelled "You suck!" at the DJ because she ... sucked. But once we got up there, they knew what they were missing!

Dance and Karaoke Highlights:

  • Mike and Sean's "Smokey Mountain Rain" by Ronnie Milsap.
  • Dancing to Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine" -- the all-famous three-step dance that a bunch of us invented back in high school.
  • Shane and Schwartz singing "My Ding-a-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
  • Mike and myself singing "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond.
  • Myself singing Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea."
  • Mike dancing the "Cha Cha Slide." By far, that was the moment of the night.

I didn't want to embarrass myself too much since there were people bartending that I knew pretty well.

We were all pretty full by the end of the night (they were kicking us out at 12:30 a.m.), but we were lucky that Schrupp's wife Becca showed up (sober!) and drove back where the wedding was held and ended up at the bar for one last drink prior to the 2:00 a.m. closing time.

It took a little while to sober up, but I finally got back to The Farm at 3:00 a.m. and I slept like a rock. Surprisingly, I didn't feel too bad when I woke up ... I was just so bloody tired. Later on, I drug my tired old butt over to Sean and Tammy's to watch the UFC pay-per-view that Sean taped from the night before.

Now, I'm still a bit tired (from the first day of In-Service and a hot and windy football practice), but I'm almost recovered. So far, I'm not planning on doing a whole lot for Labor Day weekend, but I'm sure something will come up.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you forget about Tag Team's "Whoomp There It Is!"?? That was a wonderful end to the dance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home