Friday, May 30, 2008

Next-Gen

I'm not sure if I posted anything about this yet, but after I received my federal economic stimulus package (a whopping $600), I did what the government wanted me to do: I SPENT IT. I bought me a PlayStation3!

The main motivational factor behind the purchase of a PS3 was the fact that Grand Theft Auto IV was released the previous week. Through articles of previews, videos, and the subsequent reviews from on-line gaming communities and web sites (which all basically gave the game a perfect 10 rating), I caved.

I bought the 40-gig version of the PS3, which unfortunately, does not play the old PS2 games. For some odd reason, it will play the old PSOne games, which isn't so bad itself. I can still play those old classics like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, or even the old Final Fantasy games. I popped in Silent Hill the other night and I just cringed: ugh, the graphics! I just couldn't believe that just 10-12 years ago, that was the standard in gaming.

With the purchase of the PS3, I also picked up a new DualShock3 controller (wireless, by the way), a PS3 remote, and a memory card reader for my old PSOne games. After I bought GTA IV, I also have expanded my library to include MLB 08: The Show and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

Unfortunately for me, I still have a standard-definition television set, so it doesn't do my games any justice. My TV will run at 480i resolution, while all the games on the PS3 currently run at 720p (hi-def movies run at 1080p or 1080i). I was itching to get out to do some shopping for new hi-def television sets, but I'm going to hold off on that until later this summer or even this fall -- hoping that prices will fall.

But still, the graphical capabilities of the PS3 are extremely impressive. I still cannot get over the amount of detail in GTA IV and MLB 08: The Show ... plus Gran Tursimo 5 Prologue -- in replay view: good Lord.

Another main reason for the purchase of the PS3 is of the Blu-Ray player. Since HD-DVD fell to the way-side, Blu-Ray is the choice for all hi-def playback. I personally haven't experienced hi-def playback, but hopefully this weekend when I visit my parents, they have a 46-inch plasma which can handle hi-def. All I need now is a HDMI cord (which are really expensive).

I also have Wi-Fi in my house, so any firmware updates to the PS3 or to the Blu-Ray player itself can be downloaded and installed in a short period of time. I haven't tried out the on-line gaming side of the PS3, yet.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with what I got. I'm hoping to complete my hi-def set-up sometime before the end of this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home