Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 Fantasy Football Championship

For the second time in three years, the "Banger's Bombers" made it to our Minnesota (this is what I call it to separate the leagues I'm in) fantasy football championship.

Overall, I can rightfully say that the line-ups I create and put up with over the course of the season are a force to be reckoned with. In 2006, I won it all. In 2007, I came up a bit short and finished in 3rd place, and in 2008 ... the Bombers were back in the Big Game, this time taking on the likes of the "Ron Mexico's Puppy Farm," headed by friend, Sean.

Sean finished out with the best regular season record this season at 11-3, and the Bombers' finished at 10-4. Going into the championship game, I had a seven-game winning streak and was pretty confident heading into the match-up against Sean. Leading the helm was Drew Brees at quarterback, with DeAngelo Williams and Brian Westbrook heading the running attack. By far the weakest part of my team were the wide receivers, which I couldn't find a consistent receiver, with the exception of Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers.

Unfortunately for the Bombers this year, the boys came up short yesterday evening, losing to the "Puppy Farm" 136.08 to 114.1.

Again, the wide receivers didn't seem to show up, and Brian Westbrook didn't have the best game against the Dallas Cowboys. Brees kept me in the game, along with Williams, but if I can't get points via the receivers (or even the kicker, who didn't score 1 point), it was doomed.

I had thought the "Brovold Curse" would reign again this year, but that seems to only haunt Sean's older brother, Troy. But overall, a great season ... but with less trash talk. We can only hope for 2009 that Mike joins the league once again to provide witty insights into the crazy game of American football.

In the other league that I participate in (via the friends from South Dakota), the Bombers finished at a respectable 9-5 regular season record, but unfortunately lost in the first round of the playoffs by 1 point. Myself, and other included, said that my team was probably going to be the team to beat ... but it just wasn't meant to be. I ended up winning the 5th place game the next week (both leagues have 12 teams each).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home